Boy, 3, playing with stove caused deadly NY fire, officials say

Adjust Comment Print

A 58-year-old woman, her 8-month-old granddaughter, a mother and her 2- and 7-year-old daughters were among the 12 people who died when a fast-moving fire caused by a child playing with a stove engulfed their Bronx apartment building in a matter of minutes Thursday, relatives of the dead say.

"This tragedy is, without question, historic in its magnitude".

Emmanuel Mensah, a 28-year-old who immigrated from Ghana five years ago, returned to his apartment for the first time after joining the Army a year ago, according to The New York Times.

The communications officer for the Red Cross, Michael de Vulpillieres, informed that they are giving out blankets, temporary housing, food, drinks and mental health care to residents, and teaming up with the Fire Department they set up a tent with fire education pamphlets. By the time officials held a news conference around 10 p.m. ET, the fire had been put out and the building was being searched.

"Our hearts go out to every person who lost a loved one here and everyone who is fighting for their lives", Nigro said.

"By the time I got downstairs, the fire had already escalated from one apartment to two, two to nearly three".

"That's what I think, because it was in his nature", Kwabena said.

The fire started on the first floor of a Bronx apartment block on Thursday and quickly spread upstairs, according to fire officials. The two had dated for seven months, and Young had become a mother figure to his 1-year-old son, he said. "Based on the research we have at this moment, it does not appear there was anything problematic about the building or the fire safety in the building". "I had to come down here and see for myself".

Unsettling video footage shows the burned out hallway and stairwell inside the Bronx apartment building where 12 people died in a horrific fire on Thursday.

Rafael Gonzalez, another witness, said, "All I saw was just kids in the fire escape".

"Then we got changed and went through the fire escape", Crisbel said.

"In a department that's certainly no stranger to tragedy, we're shocked at this loss", he said on Twitter.

"He brought four people out", Bredu told The Times. "For me, that's like a sanctuary or a memorial".

"I know there were concerns raised about the building itself", Mayor Bill de Blasio told WNYC.

The fire is believed to be New York City's deadliest since a 1990 blaze at a Bronx nightclub that killed 87 people.

Rajkumar Ramdhani, who lived with his wife on the second floor of the building, said two grandchildren were visiting from Virginia when the fire broke out.

One of the deadliest fires in recent city memory happened elsewhere in the Bronx in 2007. The family, a husband and wife and four children, got out.