Kulbhushan Jadhav meets his mother, wife in Pakistan

Adjust Comment Print

TV footage showed Jadhav's mother Avanti and wife Chetankul entering the ministry building's Agha Shahi Block, accompanied by India's deputy high commissioner JP Singh and a Pakistani woman official. Twenty-two months since Kulbhushan Jadhav was taken into illegal detention in Pakistan, his family will finally get a glimpse of him on Monday.

In the video, Jadhav is apparently saying, "I requested a meeting with my wife and mother and I am thankful to Govt of Pakistan for this grand gesture".

Kulbhushan Jadhav, who is on death row in Pakistan for alleged spying, today met his wife and mother - but separated by a glass screen - in a carefully choreographed event that unfolded in tweets, photos and TV footage. The communication between them was through an intercom device. The video was shown during a press conference which followed immediately after the 30-minute meeting between Jadhav and family.

The meeting ended around 3:40 pm.

"This is not the last meeting".

Detailing the meeting of the high-profile contact, Dr. Faisal expressed that it was made clear to India that no physical contact would be allowed.

He said the meeting was not connected to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) case and Pakistan had already responded to the ICJ on December 13.

"An Indian diplomat was present during the meeting and he could see Jadhav but he was not allowed to speak to him", Faisal said. Jadhav, who seen in a blue-coloured suit while meeting his family, was wearing a sweater in the clip raising several questions.

Last week, the FO Spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal had said that if the Indian Ministry of External Affairs agreed, Jadhav's wife and mother may be allowed to address the media in Pakistan. "Commander Jadhav has infiltrated into the country 17 times", he added. "However, if we were in the same place, India wouldn't have been so kind to us". Pakistan on 20 December issued visa to Jadhav's wife and mother to visit Islamabad to meet him.

In his mercy petition filed to the Army chief in June, Jadhav admitted his involvement in various militant activities in Balochistan and Sindh. "We will vigorously pursue this", he added.

After Jadhav was sentenced to death in April, India asked the World Court for an injunction to bar the execution, arguing that he was denied diplomatic assistance during what it says was an unfair trial.