Black man beaten at white nationalist rally in Charlottesville faces felony charge

Adjust Comment Print

Police in Charlottesville, Virginia, have issued a warrant charging a black man beaten at a white nationalist rally for an alleged assault during the confrontation.

Deandre Harris, a black man whose brutal beating at the hands of Charlottesville white supremacists was captured on video, is now wanted on charges of unlawful wounding in connection to the August 12 incident.

A local magistrate on Monday issued an arrest warrant for DeAndre Harris on an unlawful wounding charge after an accuser, whom police did not identify, claimed to have been injured by the 20-year-old during the brawl, authorities told local media. Two men were later identified from the video and both charged with a felony of malicious wounding.

Lt. Stephen Upman says the alleged victim told the magistrate's office, a judicial office, what happened.

Merritt said that Harris would turn himself over to police within 24 hours.

A video of the beating shows a group of approximately six people converging on Harris before clubbing him with wooden sticks, and kicking and stomping him inside a downtown parking garage last August.

"We find it highly offensive and upsetting, but what's more jarring is that he's been charged with the same crime as the men who attacked him", Merritt told The Washington Post.

A magistrate issued the warrant Monday.

According to Intercept writer Shaun King, Harris' accuser was an alleged white supremacist who'd been arrested in the scuffle. The warrant against Harris stems from accusations that he attacked someone, which led to the beating inside the garage. Harris incurred injuries that required him to have eight staples into his head.

At a court hearing in September, Ramos's attorney said "it may have been Mr. Harris who struck the first blow in that fracas", according to the Daily Progress. He also said he had cuts across his eyebrow, a chipped tooth and abrasions on his knees and elbows. "There were some non-racist members who were going to a free speech rally".