Canadian police investigate Edmonton van and knife attack as terrorism

Adjust Comment Print

The injured officer was released from the hospital Sunday and was expected to make a full recovery, despite having been stabbed several times, Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht said.

You have probably heard about last night's terrorist attack in Edmonton.

The recovery of an Islamic State flag from one of the vehicles used in the attacks had led police to pursue the incidents as an act of terrorism.

Late on Saturday, a vehicle crashed into a police barricade near Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, after which the driver approached a policeman and stabbed him several times. After crashing, the suspect leaped from the vehicle and began stabbing an officer of the Edmonton Police Service, according to Global News. The attacker then fled, and the officer was taken to hospital. At this time, the conditions of the injured pedestrians are not known.

"Currently, we believe this is an individual who acted alone, although the investigation is in its early stages".

Mr Knecht said the 30-year-old Edmonton man was known to police. "I am deeply concerned and outraged by this tragedy", Trudeau said.

Police say the vehicle swerved at pedestrians at crosswalks throughout the chase. However, the police have not confirmed whether the suspect is in custody yet. It began when a man driving a Chevrolet Malibu crashed through a police barrier associated with a sports event and struck an Edmonton police officer, throwing him 15 feet through the air.

Shortly before midnight, a U-Haul truck was pulled over at a drunk-driving checkpoint, where a police officer recognized the name of the driver's license as similar to that of the Malibu's registered owner. He was chased and arrested by police. After police asked for ID, the suspect fled, leading police on a high speed chase downtown.

Goodale's office issued a statement to say the RCMP's Integrated National Security Enforcement Team was working closely with Edmonton police.

Sharif was on a "police watch list", but apparently he wasn't being watched closely enough.

'To the best of our knowledge, this was a lone wolf attack, ' Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson told reporters on Sunday.

"We can not - and will not - let violent extremism take root in our communities".