Prosecutors: Facebook assault victim was threatened with dog

Adjust Comment Print

The 15-year-old Chicago girl who was sexually assaulted on Facebook Live last month continues to endure bullying online - and investigators say the "traumatic incident" is slowing the search for other suspects. Calling it one of the most serious cases she has seen, a juvenile court judge refused to release him despite appeals from his public defender.

They will next appear in court April 21 and 28, respectively. Guglielmi says he's charged with felony counts of criminal sexual assault, manufacturing of child pornography and dissemination of child pornography.

The second teenager, a 15-year-old boy, was arrested Monday and charged alongside a 14-year-old boy with the gang rape of the girl in late March.

The mother said the girl's uncle had told her about a video on Facebook fb Live that showed the assault. Tuesday's hearing also revealed additional details of the abuse inflicted on the teenage girl, who prosecutors said was slapped on the head multiple times and threatened with having a dog set on her if she tried to escape. At least five or six attackers participated in the assault on the girl, who police said was lured into the basement of a building not far from her home in the Lawndale neighborhood on March 19.

"She's traumatized", Detective Commander Brendan Deenihan said on Sunday.

Police said said the girl has since been a victim of "constant social media bullying" that has prolonged her trauma in the aftermath of the assault.

Gardner said while the boy may not have had intercourse with the girl, the charges were appropriate because he was there and videotaped another person raping the girl, which under the law of accountability, allows for the charges.

"They've humiliated themselves, humiliated their families, and now they're going to be held accountable for what they did", Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said.

"We've seen a couple acts in this city now in the last few months involving social media, and it just disgusts me that people could look at those videos and not pick up the phone and dial 911", Johnson said.

The teen was treated at a hospital after the assault before returning home to her family. That meeting between the victim and police is supposed to happen Tuesday.